Cannot get USB to boot 15.4.1-amd64.iso
Tofloor
poster avatar
geekomatic
deepin
2017-09-09 02:14
Author
Hi all,

I was really excited to get deepin running after stumbling upon it last week. I've run most other Linux & my main rig is Mint Mate.

I've redownloaded the iso, twice now-- the first time it would get to the menu but hung, the second time I get:

"No default or UI configuration directive found!"

What have I missed? I've been burning & booting Linux for years-- what's happening?

I will say that this is the first time I've hit one with a Windows-based iso creator....I also tried using unetbootin in Mint....

Help? Can I not create the installer via Mint?

Cheers

~G

Motherboard I'm trying to boot in is Asus P6X58D-Premium, i7-930, 18GB RAM.

Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
wtz
deepin
2017-09-09 05:23
Could you please try to write the image using "dd", then see if it works?
Reply View the author
geekomatic
deepin
2017-09-09 06:01
https://bbs.deepin.org/post/145234
Could you please try to write the image using "dd", then see if it works?

Hi,

That's how I did it, actually....

Gave me the above error.

I've just downloaded the iso again-- trying that one now.

Cheers
Reply View the author
geekomatic
deepin
2017-09-09 08:41
Oh well. I went ahead & booted up a laptop that has Win 7 on it, & created the USB successfully.

It began the install. It finished & said, "successfully installed, reboot to experience" (or something), so I clicked to do so-- waited for the system to completely shut down, removed the USB, and....

No boot of the system. It just reboots after a few seconds of black screen. Even tried recovery mode- nada.

I think deepin isn't quite ready yet. A shame. From all I read & saw in the vids, looked promising. I'll check back.
Reply View the author
nipos
deepin
2017-09-10 00:31
That's really weird.
On my new laptop nearly nothing worked.
Tried it with Arch Linux first,but gave up after some hours and tried Windows Vista Ultimate what didn't work too.
Then I tried Deepin which is my favorite desktop for Arch anyway and that did it.
You tell me the exact opposite here.
I did it with dd,too.
Probably you could try installing an older ISO and then update with this command:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Reply View the author
geekomatic
deepin
2017-09-10 19:25
https://bbs.deepin.org/post/145234
That's really weird.
On my new laptop nearly nothing worked.
Tried it with Arch Linux first,but gave ...

It's really odd, I'll agree. I've been installing various distros for years, & this is the first time this has happened. I'd just gotten a really great deal on a small SSD & was excited to install deepin on it-- only to be completely disappointed.   

As far as going to an older iso & updating-- I might try that, but I've never been a fan of updating my OS once I have it installed & running. I generally backup my stuff & install fresh, rather than update.

Cheers
Reply View the author
geekomatic
deepin
2017-09-11 04:15
Okay.

I chose the older 15.4 iso, from a different location, checked hash was ok. It was.

I used Mint USB Writer to create the image to USB stick. Successful. USB boots & offers "live" or "install" --> I choose install. All goes fine & then at reboot, nothing. A black screen with cursor which eventually reboots to mobo splash-screen & then black screen. Fans running, but nothing else.

As a possibility, I updated the board to the newest BIOS.

Ideas?
Reply View the author
geekomatic
deepin
2017-09-11 07:34
I've just written deepin, again, to USB, this time using a Windows laptop.

Just to be sure I'm understanding this (because it's odd to me how this is done):  I extract the ISO to a folder>run the image-maker>point it to the full ISO, correct?  I assume it is right because it launches the little creator GUI where I tick to format/choose ISO/choose USB. It runs for a few minutes & then says "successful".

I plug that USB into my PC & set it to 1st boot. It shows the menu choice & no matter which I choose, it goes to either a blinking cursor or a black screen & the system reboots.

Just as a double-check, I have Mint 17.3 on a USB & it boots up fine.

Help?
Reply View the author
melodyzou
deepin
2017-09-13 00:18
https://bbs.deepin.org/user/31802 please look at this issue
Reply View the author
geekomatic
deepin
2017-09-17 03:16
I forgot to add:

*Graphics card is Sapphire Radeon HD5770.

I just tried installing again. After removing the USB drive & booting the HDD, I can reach Deepin/Deepin Advanced-- but I have like 1/2 second to choose or it bypasses to a similar deepin/recovery mode-- again, makes no difference which I choose, as it simply hangs then at a black screen. If I restart (using reset button on case) it goes directly to the black screen/cursor w/not even a try at the above screens.

In other words, on a fresh start-up, I get a sliver of a chance which doesn't work. On restart, I only get black screen.

I'm going to try another USB & new image.

Reply View the author
geekomatic
deepin
2017-09-17 05:14
I've gotten to the desktop using the info from this site:

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/353802/deepin-not-booting

I removed quiet splash & input nomodeset. When I clicked F10, it complained about something, but then went on to boot to the desktop. Right now, it's looking for updates. I haven't had a chance to reboot to see if it comes back or not. Assuming it will, what has "nomodeset" bypassed that was causing the hang? During installation, I never did anything except initiate the install, so didn't specify graphics or any drivers, etc....Hoping these reports are of interest & possibly benefit you & others with this issue.

I'll report back once the update check completes (if it does?) & I reboot (hopefully, successfully).

Cheers
Reply View the author
geekomatic
deepin
2017-09-17 05:44
Edited by geekomatic at 2017-9-16 21:46

Okay.

Update just kept spinning (I despise the Windows 8/10 spinning circle-- please implement a Linux version).

I went to power/restart. Came back to a black screen-- no cursor.

So, given what I've posted, so far, what do I need to do (be clear in your instructions) to make that "nomodeset" STICK for future reboots.
Reply View the author
geekomatic
deepin
2017-09-17 21:49
I managed to edit the grub.cfg to include "nomodeset" & remove "splash quiet". Deepin now boots.

However, I'd like to know what, exactly, is happening by using that switch? What is wrong with the system?

Also, I am using a USB wifi dongle & it works well with Linux, in general-- but for some reason, on reboot, it is not detected? I must pull it out & put it back in order for it to run again. I don't have to re-input the wifi password-- it remembers that, it just doesn't seem to detect the dongle. Is this something possibly being caused by the "nomodeset" switch?

Thank you
Reply View the author