Tofloor
poster avatar
prop
deepin
2017-09-17 04:04
Author
Edited by prop at 2017-9-18 12:47

Hey guys,

I have a Samsung notebook (five years old) with Win10 and for the first time i tried out linux, with Ubuntu 17.04. I partitioned my 1tb HD, creating one free space of around 80gb for it.
Fast foward to this week and Ubuntu started to show some problems, like showing lines of code on a black screen before the login screen and some freezes, so i decided to try another distro.
Yesterday I installed Deepin in the same 80gb space where Ubuntu was (the installer erased Ubuntu, as far as i know). Everything went smooth until the last reboot, by the end of the installation process: i can't boot into Deepin.
I have right now four boot options: (1) ubuntu (PO: ST1000LM024 HN-M101MBB); (2) ubuntu (PO: ST1000LM024 HN-M101MBB); (3) Windows Boot Manager (PO: ST1000LM024 HN-M101MBB); and (4) P2: TSSTcorp DVDWBD SN - 406AB.
When i try number 4, all i get is "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key_". While both ubuntu options give me "GNU GRUB version 2.02 beta3-4ubuntu2.2          Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists possible device or file completions.". I can boot normaly on windows

I used a bootable USB for the installation.

Thanks in advance
Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
imeidopf
deepin
2017-09-17 20:38
When I switched from Unbuntu to Deepin, I got the same problem. I had to boot into Windows and delete any non-Windows partition. Then I used a Windows installation disc to repair the MBR. Then installed Deepin. Everything was fine.

I couldn't find any other way that would work right. But maybe someone else has.
Reply View the author
prop
deepin
2017-09-18 20:27
Edited by prop at 2017-9-18 12:46

Thanks for the reply!

After some unsuccessful work, i remembered about the issue with UEFI and Legacy boot and changed my setting from "both" to "UEFI only", and i was able to boot in Deepin
I'm facing some new issues (all o them before i enter my password) but that's for another post ;)

BTW, I tried fixing MBR, but ubuntu's options on boot are still available, sadly.

Reply View the author