My AMD Hybrid graphics is not recognized
Tofloor
poster avatar
xpuska
deepin
2017-09-20 08:56
Author
Hello.After installing a system i tried to launch some games and applications that require Discreete graphics but it launches only on Intel HD graphics.
I tried to update kernel to 4.12 but it gives me nothing.
My Notebook Specs:
CPU - Intel Core I5-4200u
GPU - AMD Radeon HD8670M
RAM - 6GB
SSD - 128GB
Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
oscararg
deepin
2017-09-20 14:19
Your graphics card is old, so new Kernel won't help. Check which drivers are available for your AMD card at the Driver Manager tool.
Reply View the author
xpuska
deepin
2017-09-20 19:33
https://bbs.deepin.org/post/145764
Your graphics card is old, so new Kernel won't help. Check which drivers are available for your AMD  ...

But from Linux 4.9 GCN 1.0 is supported and also amdgpu-pro supports my card too.(but i can't install amdgpu-pro due xorg crash after install).
Reply View the author
oscararg
deepin
2017-09-21 07:10
http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMD-Radeon-GPU-PRO-Linux-Beta-Driver%E2%80%93Release-Notes.aspx sure?
Arent AMDGPU and Catalyst, or even open source drivers available on the list to check if the problem is only with the GPUPRO drivers?
And that info from AMD page about your video card can help a little:

AMD Enduro™ technology, AMD Enduro™ technology automatically turns off the AMD Radeon™ discrete GPU for non-intensive applications to help maximize battery life for more time unplugged, and requires either an AMD A-Series APU or an Intel processor, plus an AMD Radeon™ discrete graphics card and is available on Windows® 7 and Windows® 8 Standard and Professional editions. Linux OS supports manual switching which requires restart of X-Server to switch between graphics solutions. With AMD Enduro™ technology, full enablement of all discrete graphics video and display features may not be supported on all systems (e.g. OpenGL applications will run on the integrated GPU or the APU as the case may be). Always check with your system manufacturer for specific mode capabilities and supported technologies.

So... first test with all the drivers available for AMD on the Driver Manager list... if when you open an app rendered by OpenGL and integrated GPU takes the command, thats simply unsolvable because your card was made to do that, don't worry though, the Intel integrated one isn't a bad one and Linux works well with Intel, too well comparing with AMD or Nvidia.
Reply View the author
xpuska
deepin
2017-09-21 08:35
http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMD-Radeon-GPU-PRO-Linux-Beta-Driver%E2%80%93Release- ...

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMDGPU-PRO-Driver-for-Linux-Release-Notes.aspx
Well, i just read about gpu-pro here
Reply View the author
oscararg
deepin
2017-09-21 10:22
So depending on the driver version you have support or not, the problem is, that Enduro technology doesn't works like Bumblebee or Optimus Nvidia ones, it appears to not support OpenGL on hybrid graphics. So they will run on your integrated card instead of the dedicated one.
Reply View the author
xpuska
deepin
2017-09-21 10:58
Edited by xpuska at 2017-9-21 03:01
So depending on the driver version you have support or not, the problem is, that Enduro technology d ...

Yeah, but the main problem is that Deepin can't detect my Amd.
The output form lspci:
  1. 00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT DRAM Controller (rev 09)
  2. 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
  3. 00:03.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT HD Audio Controller (rev 09)
  4. 00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series USB xHCI HC (rev 04)
  5. 00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series HECI #0 (rev 04)
  6. 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 8 Series HD Audio Controller (rev 04)
  7. 00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series PCI Express Root Port 3 (rev e4)
  8. 00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series PCI Express Root Port 4 (rev e4)
  9. 00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series USB EHCI #1 (rev 04)
  10. 00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series LPC Controller (rev 04)
  11. 00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series SATA Controller 1 [AHCI mode] (rev 04)
  12. 00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 8 Series SMBus Controller (rev 04)
  13. 01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101/2/6E PCI Express Fast/Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 07)
  14. 02:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 / AR9565 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)
Copy the Code

Usually my AMD detects as "Display" but there is no "Display" device.
On ubuntu 16.04 my AMD detects as "Display" and i can use my AMD with DRI_PRIME=1 command option, but on Deepin it not working because GPU is not detected by system.UPD: Tried to run hwinfo but this gives me nothing.
Reply View the author
oscararg
deepin
2017-09-21 13:46
So you can't even enable X Session ran by the card, you must said that haha. Can you try with something like I-Nex (Deepin Store app) if it at least shows your card info? Check your bios too, if it can force the AMD graphics card or its slot (pci one) to be enabled by default, overriding the Intel card.
There is a weird problem here, if you can see the AMD drivers as available in Driver Manager, its like system seeing but not seeing your card.
Reply View the author
xpuska
deepin
2017-09-21 20:28
Edited by xpuska at 2017-9-21 12:29
So you can't even enable X Session ran by the card, you must said that haha. Can you try with someth ...

Installed I-Nex, here is screenshot from GPU Tab:

No i can't force GPU or Integrated GPU because there is not option in Dell BIOS.
And i there is no available AMD drivers in Driver Manager.(Screenshot:

I also tried to switch slots in GPU tab but it still shows only Intel HD
Reply View the author
oscararg
deepin
2017-09-22 08:02
At the I-Nex tab you can see "Card0..." option, nothing more appear than the Intel card using this list? -- Try removing the AMD drivers with sudo apt remove --purge fglrx, these are the legacy ones and give some problems.
Then sudo apt install xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu, go to /etc/X11/ and search for xorg.conf file, create a copy of it, save it on any of your home directories, and delete the original from X11, then sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-amdgpu.conf and add this to the file:
Section "Device"
    Identifier "AMD"
    Driver "amdgpu"
EndSection

Reboot and pray to god haha, about your laptop, I've seen several publication of guys complaining about Dell laptops with AMD cards, as AMD says that those cards are "property of Dell so they need to make the drivers and config", and Dell appears to not give much importance to it, even less on Linux. Try searching for the more updated BIOS for your laptop, read well how to install it and do it with caution (laptop connected to energy always). Having an updated BIOS may not be essential for most people but unlocks features and solves problems.
Reply View the author