How do I upgrade Deepin from one version to another?
Tofloor
poster avatar
pkalamula
deepin
2017-09-23 06:48
Author
When I want to upgrademy Deeping systems I do the following:
  1. sudo apt-get update
  2. sudo apt-get upgrade
Copy the Code
When I upgrade using the method above the system breaks. When I reboot after the update, the login screen comes and after authenticating  the whole UI breaks. All that is visible is the desktop wallpaper and the files stored on the desktop only without the menu and anything else. You can not launch any application not even using shortcuts. This has happened to me for almost all upgrades, from 15.1 to 15.2 and from 15.2 to 15.4 and recently from 15.4 to 15.4.1. In all cases, I ended up installing a fresh copy. Where am I going wrong? What is the safest way of upgrading?

Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
dance707
deepin
2017-09-23 08:40
The normal procedure when using the command line.

1. sudo apt-get update
  2. sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Copy the Code

Reply View the author
oscararg
deepin
2017-09-23 14:54
Edited by oscararg at 2017-9-22 20:01

To add some info, apt (something like sudo apt dist-upgrade) is more modern than apt-get, you can even use aptitude (sudo aptitude) command if you want some graphic tools at your terminal... And, to add a last and better option, run sudo aptitude full-upgrade, that will upgrade your system removing all the old packages to prevent you from getting dependency problems or duplicates https://www.computerhope.com/unix/aptitude.htm here are all the aptidude commands. Greetings.
Reply View the author
pkalamula
deepin
2017-09-26 00:21
Thanks people for the responses. I will try what you have advised.
Reply View the author