[Newbies] Sometimes Deepin locks my Windows 11 partition
Tofloor
poster avatar
heavensword
deepin
2022-05-17 17:08
Author

Sometimes when I'm using Deepin 20.5, I cannot transfer any files from Deepin to my Windows 11 partition. The folders in the Windows 11 drive are locked (read-only). It's a hassle to have to use a USB drive to transfer files between the two OSes. Rebooting/shut down doesn't help.

The problem sometimes goes away the next day (the Windows 11 partion/drive mysteriously becomes writable and unlocked as it should be).

Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
Hibanaw
deepin
2022-05-17 22:32

That's caused by the "fast startup" feature in windows.

Since windows 11, there ain't any way to disable this feature directly. You should turn off the hibernation function in windows to disable it.

Reply View the author
heavensword
deepin
2022-05-18 05:55
Hibanaw

That's caused by the "fast startup" feature in windows.

Since windows 11, there ain't any way to disable this feature directly. You should turn off the hibernation function in windows to disable it.

Are you sure it's a Windows 11 problem and not a Deepin 20.5 problem? I also have another partition formatted to NTFS to store files and documents. When the Windows 11 partition gets locked and read-only, the other NTFS partition also becomes locked and read-only.

Anyways, I notice that no matter how many times I shut down and restart Deepin, the problem persists. BUT, if I spend some time on Windows 11, the problem often goes away!

Reply View the author
Hibanaw
deepin
2022-05-19 00:45
heavensword

Are you sure it's a Windows 11 problem and not a Deepin 20.5 problem? I also have another partition formatted to NTFS to store files and documents. When the Windows 11 partition gets locked and read-only, the other NTFS partition also becomes locked and read-only.

Anyways, I notice that no matter how many times I shut down and restart Deepin, the problem persists. BUT, if I spend some time on Windows 11, the problem often goes away!

Yes, it's a common issue for fresh linux users, and

IT'S CAUSED BY THE FAST STARTUP FEATURE IN WINDOWS.

Reply View the author
Hibanaw
deepin
2022-05-19 00:51
heavensword

When you restarting your pc instead of shuting down it (they are completely different when fast startup is enabled), the temporary files will released and the partition will be unlocked. That's why you can use it sometimes.

Reply View the author