Fresh install & no Applications
Tofloor
poster avatar
Creed5150
deepin
2014-08-08 14:05
Author
I had XP on a Desktop and wanted a good free OS to put on. I decided on Deepin and installed it fine from a USB. Once installed I was able to configure my Bluetooth mouse, but my wireless card was not detected. Not sure how to fix that. I have a Ethernet Jack that seems to be working. My BIG problem is I can't get the menu of Apps to display. So the only thing I can do is mess with preferences and press Super+E to look at files. When I go to the left hand corner, nothing happens. When I press the 'super'/Windows key nothing happens. I can right click on the blank desktop and get to the corner menu, but whatever I do I can't get to any Applications. I'm new to Linux (used it 10 years ago, but forgot most of it). What is going on, and what am I doing wrong? I'd rather just have the basic apps docked to that bottom of the screen like what it shows when I booted from the USB for install. I'm reinstalling it, in case something got hosed. It's says just go to the left hand corner, but nothing.

Please help this Noob!!!

Thanks.
Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
Creed5150
deepin
2014-08-08 15:34
Never mind.  After reinstalling and going through the tutorial completely, all of a sudden everything was there and working. I'll ask later about my wireless card if I can't figure it out. Something must of not fully installed on initial install. Didn't want to waste any of your guys time.  
Reply View the author
Maggieszd
deepin
2014-08-13 18:49
Not all hardware driver are in-built in Linux kernel, sometimes you need to find and install the driver.
Reply View the author
Creed5150
deepin
2014-08-13 19:17
Do I need to try and find a Linux specific driver (if there is one) or will the old Windows driver possibly work? I made copies of all my old drivers just in case I needed them.

Thanks.
Reply View the author
Maggieszd
deepin
2014-08-14 23:15
Windows driver is not supported well under Linux. Please tell me your wireless network card model, and then I can help you find the corresponding driver.
Reply View the author