[Seek Help] Install Deepin 20.7.1 on brand new Lenovo laptop with existing Windows
Tofloor
poster avatar
br******81@gmail.com
deepin
2022-11-18 05:50
Author

Hello!

Just wondering what is the best way to install deepin 20.7.1 on a brand new Windows Lenovo laptop?

I want a clean install, I don't want to keep pre-installed Windows on my laptop.

What about this:

1. Perform a secure erase HDD in BIOS
  2. Download ISO, create a bootable USB using existing Deepin BootMaker (I have another laptop with Deepin installed)
  3. Install with 5.15 kernel option
  4. Select advanced partition, and make the following partitions:
    1. first partition: 512MB, efi
    2. root partition (/): 960GB, ext4
    3. swap partition (/swap): 8GB, ext4
  5. Would that work?

The issue here is I tried the above steps, and the installation failed, error is Error:Failed to bind /dev, and after this failure, HDD cannot be detected in BIOS. Now sure if the above partition caused HDD failure or it is just the HDD is dead (nothing with deepin install or partition method)

Thanks

Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
ma******fs@hotmail.com
deepin
2022-11-27 07:48

Hi,

I have Windows 11 installed on my Lenovo X220 and dual-booted with Deepin 2.70.1, everything works fine. I just made USB installation with Rufus 3.20 on that Windows.

You may try it.

Reply View the author
br******81@gmail.com
deepin
2022-11-28 02:04

Thanks. x220 is an old OS, should be well supported. For the error I encountered, there was a bug in the nvme firmware. Thanks

Reply View the author
CS_GomesGaioso
deepin
2023-02-28 12:11

"HDD cannot be detected in BIOS" is an hardware problem. Probably it was on its last legs and the overkill secure erase you perfomed killed for good.

This has nothing to do with the OS or the installer.

Reply View the author