[Newbies] Does restore overwrite existing files
Tofloor
poster avatar
183******07
deepin
2023-02-21 18:56
Author

If I restore a backup will it overwrite my existing files? Is there a way to make sure this doesn't happen?

Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
CS_GomesGaioso
deepin
2023-02-28 11:49

What exactly do you mean by "restore a backup"? There are dozens of possibilities under this umbrella term...

If you mean restoring from a drive image then the answer to both is obviously no, because the drive image being reswtore must overwrite everything in the target drive.

If you're thinking about other situation please clarify.

Reply View the author
183******07
deepin
2023-03-02 23:07
CS_GomesGaioso

What exactly do you mean by "restore a backup"? There are dozens of possibilities under this umbrella term...

If you mean restoring from a drive image then the answer to both is obviously no, because the drive image being reswtore must overwrite everything in the target drive.

If you're thinking about other situation please clarify.

Thanks for your reply.

I use 'Backups' to backup my files to an external drive. Of course, I don't want to overwrite files that I've worked on since my last backup, but, there are older files since deleted (foolishly thought I wouldn't need them) that I'd like to retrieve.

Before I proceed I want to be sure all is safe.

Reply View the author
CS_GomesGaioso
deepin
2023-03-03 14:29

If the tool you've use allows recovering of inividual files it shouldn't be a problem as long as you know exactly what you need to recover and what you shouldn't because older than the current versions.

Reply View the author
183******07
deepin
2023-03-03 17:34

I'll give it a try with some non-essential file. Thanks for the help!

Reply View the author