[steam] Can`t launch steam deepin 20.9
Tofloor
poster avatar
Wicctory
deepin
2023-09-15 12:41
Author

I installed steam using deepin appstore but when I try to launch the error appears:

You are missing the following 32-bit libraries, and Steam may not run:
libGL.so.1

Then after pressing continue I get this message:

Fatal Error: Failed to launch steamui.so

I tried installing from valve website but still nothing

My GPU is Nvidia GTX 1660 and I'm using deepin 20.9

PS: I know I can use flatpak but I prefer to use native version

Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
b***e@gmail.com
deepin
2023-09-16 01:02
  1. Reboot
  2. After reboot, and without login in, use Ctrl + Alt + F2 to enter to the console.
  3. You'll see that you need to put your login info, do it, and then put sudo su and enter the password.
  4. sudo apt install nvidia-driver
  5. Now write service lightdm stop
  6. Delete the newly installed drivers apt purge nvidia* && apt autoremove --purge
  7. Then install again sudo apt install nvidia-driver
  8. i've tried many instructions but figure out this way by myself.
Reply View the author
CS_GomesGaioso
deepin
2023-11-17 20:38
b***e@gmail.com
  1. Reboot
  2. After reboot, and without login in, use Ctrl + Alt + F2 to enter to the console.
  3. You'll see that you need to put your login info, do it, and then put sudo su and enter the password.
  4. sudo apt install nvidia-driver
  5. Now write service lightdm stop
  6. Delete the newly installed drivers apt purge nvidia* && apt autoremove --purge
  7. Then install again sudo apt install nvidia-driver
  8. i've tried many instructions but figure out this way by myself.

Please ignore #1, it's immaterial and irrelevant;

Regarding #2 it's OK but you can also use (and should prefer) the normal Terminal (CTRL+ALT+T) or search for and open it like any other software;

#4, #5 and #6 (and #7) make no sense whatsoever in that order. As posted it installs Nvidia drivers (#4) then stops a service that doesn't need to be stopped (#5) (this is likely something you read in instructions on how to install Nvidia drivers using the Nvidia binaries - something you probably shouldn't do - but this isn't applicable when installing the already packaged drivers from the repository, which is what you do with apt); then undo everything you did before (#6) to finally re-do it at #7 ???

ONLY if you have "broken" Nvidia drivers and/or if somehow you managed to install a wrong version you can then try #4 to clean-up the system before install the proper drivers.

Regarding #8 - i've tried many instructions but figure out this way by myself ... No, sorry, you didn't. This was trowing stuff to the wall to see what sticks.

And although it's possible the OP have had issues with the Nvidia drivers (who doesn't?), the error messages, You are missing the following 32-bit libraries, and Steam may not run: libGL.so.1 and Fatal Error: Failed to launch steamui.so have nothing to do with it. The errors are know for more than a decade ago.

Also of note is the fact that Flatpak as well as SNAP are OS agnostic packaging systems. They're as native as anything else so using one or the other (both provide the Steam client) is perfectly fine and in this case strongly recommended to avoid the need to add 32-bit architecture because everything the program needs cames conveniently packaged with it. We're using the SNAP version, by the way, with ZERO issues.

Reply View the author
arash22sh
deepin
2023-11-30 03:52

I have same problem here

Reply View the author