[ Content contribution] Deepin WSL Officially Launched on Microsoft Store
Tofloor
poster avatar
空木蓮華
deepin
2023-10-25 01:16
Author

I. Introduction:

WSL stands for Windows Subsystem for Linux, which is a technology that allows users to run Linux on Windows. By using WSL, users can easily switch and integrate between Windows and Linux, utilize open-source tools and environments for developing or testing Linux-related projects, "use open-source tools and environments to develop or test Linux-related projects, and experience different Linux distributions.

II. How to use Deepin WSL:

1. Confirm system compatibility: WSL requires a minimum of Windows 10 version 1709 (OS build 16299) or higher.
  2. Enable WSL feature: Open Windows PowerShell (with administrator privileges) and run the following command:
wsl --install

This will enable the WSL and Virtual Machine Platform features and download and install the WSL 2 engine.

Alternatively, you can enable these features by going to Control Panel > Programs > Turn Windows features on or off and selecting “Windows Subsystem for Linux” and “Virtual Machine Platform”. The necessary components will be downloaded and installed automatically, and a restart will be required.

1. Open Microsoft Store, search for “deepin WSL”, and click on “Get” to install.
  2. Upon first run, you will be prompted to set a username and password. Follow the instructions to complete the configuration.

image.png

III. Related Projects:

If you want to customize your WSL, you can refer to the following projects.

1. deepin-rootfs: This is the project for creating the root file system for deepin V23, which provides the root file system for WSL.
  2. WSL-DistroLauncher: This is the official WSL launcher provided by Microsoft.
  3. deepin-WSL: This is a modified version of the WSL-DistroLauncher project. The deepin WSL app on the Microsoft Store relies on this project.
  4. wsldl: This is a third-party WSL launcher.

wsldl provides a launcher for third-party users, which only requires the corresponding root file system and renaming an executable file. It uses a universal tool to run an instance, and you will need to manually import the root file system and configure other users if you want to use wsldl.

WSL-DistroLauncher is the official launcher provided by Microsoft, which requires packaging the root file system into a Windows executable. Additionally, it is needed for publishing apps on the Microsoft Store. You will need to install a cer certificate and double-click on the executable file to run it and follow the prompts to create a user.

The deepin-WSL project provides both types of executable files under its directory.

Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
vIann
deepin
2023-10-25 01:56
Reply View the author
raspin
deepin
2023-10-25 09:34

For me one aspect is not clear at all. So Deepin is meant to be stylized as deepin, but we as users should we use lower or upper case while reffering to this OS? Lower case to me isn't very stylistically pleasing. The same situation is with chromeOS and people style it as ChromeOS

Reply View the author
空木蓮華
deepin
2023-10-25 17:43
raspin

For me one aspect is not clear at all. So Deepin is meant to be stylized as deepin, but we as users should we use lower or upper case while reffering to this OS? Lower case to me isn't very stylistically pleasing. The same situation is with chromeOS and people style it as ChromeOS

Use deepin to represent the OS

Reply View the author
d***8@gmail.com
deepin
2023-11-04 22:24
It has been deleted!
s***1@gmail.com
deepin
2023-12-15 04:27
It has been deleted!
s***y@gmail.com
deepin