Tofloor
poster avatar
Merlin
Super Moderator
Product Manager
2024-01-23 17:10
Author

Dear community users:

Since 2020, the community has gone through multiple iterations from V20 to V23, implementing many features and resolving many BUG issues. In the process of constant change, we expect to bring good feelings to users.

In recent years, we have done a lot of work and features, but more from the habits of Chinese users. Since its birth, deepin has been positioned to provide more and better choices for users around the world. What can overseas users who want to see this article say to us? For deepin, perhaps due to geographical differences, we can have a deeper understanding of the needs of overseas users, or can we not have a deeper understanding of the shortcomings of users in other countries in the process of using deepin? In 2024, we hope to do some of the features we can achieve for global users, so that more international users recognize us. No matter what kind of advice, you can leave your thoughts and suggestions here.

Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
c***5@gmail.com
deepin
2024-01-24 06:59

nahh im just waiting for the stable release of v23 but im just want deepin to be smooth and stable

Reply View the author
Alphadon1
deepin
2024-01-24 08:08

I am very happy to see you make this effort to include the international community more, I have been using the Deepin distribution for years now and love the distro. The first think I would suggest is to get better wayland support. I know you have wayland included now, but it does not work well in deepin at all and most of the wayland specific applications can not even run under wayland in deepin. A major application that uses wayland is Waydroid, this is impossible to run on Deepin no matter what is tried.

Another suggestion I would have is to get your native email client supporting gmail, yahoo mail, MS outlook and other major email serives provided in the west. Your email client sys that is supports these now, but none of them actually work.

Reply View the author
o***a@gmail.com
deepin
2024-01-24 10:39

Dear Merlin,

This is an excellent post and a very well timed one. Thank you very much for taking the time and initiative to post it.

As you know, the world of today's geopolitical shifts is making it that we must be able to globally de-risk from every source of potential grave damages in any way, shape or form.

To this end, Deepin will become one of very few go-to 'must-have' things in the digital world for more than 5 billion people around the world. As you can see, this is not a light responsibility to have, so we truly appreciate all your and the team's efforts in making Deepin a truly globally viable desktop environment for everyone's varied needs and roles, especially in the Global South.

My requests below may sound like a burden on achieving the release of the final version of v23 as soon as possible, so please kindly look at them as a long-term wish-list, not to pressure you or the team with them in the immediate and short terms given there are other bigger priorities at the moment, such as fixing major bugs, including the ones I have listed on this post: https://bbs.deepin.org/en/post/267458

Wish list:

Full distro translation and multi-lingual support for all of the languages of the Global South countries.
  1. Ability to install and run all types of Linux packages without exception in an immutable environment. Similar to https://github.com/Vanilla-OS/apx from https://vanillaos.org/
  2. Ability to seamlessly run Android and Windows apps via built-in emulation (and preferabbly MacOS intel apps as well, if possible)
  3. AI Co-Pilot for routine tasks built-in to the OS environment using both Global South owned and operated public AI systems as well as local LLM's hosted inside Deepin. Including all AI modalities (see, generate images, hear, talk, chat, write/instruct,code, talking-head animated avatar...etc)
  4. Explore other Linux-centric Global South targetted initiatives such as "Endless OS" and learn from them in order to improve Deepin.
  5. Virtual offline live-TV functionality similar to that of Emby's, maybe by adding it on top of Jellyfin. This feature would be nice to have as a way to de-risk from losing access to other sources. Same thing for books/music/podcasts.
  6. Self-hosted, self-reliant as a pillar of this distro - stay off the cloud, off the net as a priority. This is a must since Deepin will be relied on for usage of every type of person in every type of role from students, to project managers to even country presidents. Kindly please refer to https://www.reddit.com/r/selfhosted for a complete list of self-hosted apps created by the open source community (hundreds if not thousands). A self-hosted Mesh VPN system that is decentralized in terms of server-client architecture but with central administration would be great to inter-connect Deepin users from all over the Global South in "Intranet-like private networks whether for business or learning purposes or even working and collaborating together in projects. This Mesh VPN already exists as well as reverse-proxies that connect people to apps without exposing the network to the Internet and can be found on the reddit above.
  7. Ability to make role-based custom user ID's with a custom list of default apps suitable for that role. For example, for Chinese schools in Africa, I would love it if they could login with a student role and by default see all the relevant apps to them, or if a Chinese company building roads and hospitals elsewhere that needs to provide laptops with Deepin to local project managers, it would be great if they can create a project manager role based ID and see all the relevant apps to that roles such as OpenProject...etc (same thing for doctors, lawyers, programmers...etc, essentially targetting all the major roles needed for societies in the Global South to succeed in their partnerships with China).
  8. Offline mode for web browsing using website "archiving" actual recording functionality used by archive.org (available as a browser extension or standalone app). Same thing for local LLM's containing the entire knowledge of humanity, or a complete offline Wiki-like non-biased-alignment type of a completely offline knowledge base like Britannica translated into the main languages of the Global South plus English. With the ability to locally translate text to any of these languages using offline translation LLM's such as the ones from Seamless.

Thank you very much for your truly amazing work and keep it up!

Reply View the author
Merlin
Super Moderator
Product Manager
2024-01-24 17:30
o***a@gmail.com

Dear Merlin,

This is an excellent post and a very well timed one. Thank you very much for taking the time and initiative to post it.

As you know, the world of today's geopolitical shifts is making it that we must be able to globally de-risk from every source of potential grave damages in any way, shape or form.

To this end, Deepin will become one of very few go-to 'must-have' things in the digital world for more than 5 billion people around the world. As you can see, this is not a light responsibility to have, so we truly appreciate all your and the team's efforts in making Deepin a truly globally viable desktop environment for everyone's varied needs and roles, especially in the Global South.

My requests below may sound like a burden on achieving the release of the final version of v23 as soon as possible, so please kindly look at them as a long-term wish-list, not to pressure you or the team with them in the immediate and short terms given there are other bigger priorities at the moment, such as fixing major bugs, including the ones I have listed on this post: https://bbs.deepin.org/en/post/267458

Wish list:

Full distro translation and multi-lingual support for all of the languages of the Global South countries.
  1. Ability to install and run all types of Linux packages without exception in an immutable environment. Similar to https://github.com/Vanilla-OS/apx from https://vanillaos.org/
  2. Ability to seamlessly run Android and Windows apps via built-in emulation (and preferabbly MacOS intel apps as well, if possible)
  3. AI Co-Pilot for routine tasks built-in to the OS environment using both Global South owned and operated public AI systems as well as local LLM's hosted inside Deepin. Including all AI modalities (see, generate images, hear, talk, chat, write/instruct,code, talking-head animated avatar...etc)
  4. Explore other Linux-centric Global South targetted initiatives such as "Endless OS" and learn from them in order to improve Deepin.
  5. Virtual offline live-TV functionality similar to that of Emby's, maybe by adding it on top of Jellyfin. This feature would be nice to have as a way to de-risk from losing access to other sources. Same thing for books/music/podcasts.
  6. Self-hosted, self-reliant as a pillar of this distro - stay off the cloud, off the net as a priority. This is a must since Deepin will be relied on for usage of every type of person in every type of role from students, to project managers to even country presidents. Kindly please refer to https://www.reddit.com/r/selfhosted for a complete list of self-hosted apps created by the open source community (hundreds if not thousands). A self-hosted Mesh VPN system that is decentralized in terms of server-client architecture but with central administration would be great to inter-connect Deepin users from all over the Global South in "Intranet-like private networks whether for business or learning purposes or even working and collaborating together in projects. This Mesh VPN already exists as well as reverse-proxies that connect people to apps without exposing the network to the Internet and can be found on the reddit above.
  7. Ability to make role-based custom user ID's with a custom list of default apps suitable for that role. For example, for Chinese schools in Africa, I would love it if they could login with a student role and by default see all the relevant apps to them, or if a Chinese company building roads and hospitals elsewhere that needs to provide laptops with Deepin to local project managers, it would be great if they can create a project manager role based ID and see all the relevant apps to that roles such as OpenProject...etc (same thing for doctors, lawyers, programmers...etc, essentially targetting all the major roles needed for societies in the Global South to succeed in their partnerships with China).
  8. Offline mode for web browsing using website "archiving" actual recording functionality used by archive.org (available as a browser extension or standalone app). Same thing for local LLM's containing the entire knowledge of humanity, or a complete offline Wiki-like non-biased-alignment type of a completely offline knowledge base like Britannica translated into the main languages of the Global South plus English. With the ability to locally translate text to any of these languages using offline translation LLM's such as the ones from Seamless.

Thank you very much for your truly amazing work and keep it up!

Thank you for your advice. It may take some time for me to understand and sort out these contents. Although not all of your suggestions will become part of our functions, I will choose the functions suitable for our own positioning and incorporate them into the later planning. The implementation of these features may come after the V23.1 version, but I still hope to understand the needs of global users as much as possible

Reply View the author
Merlin
Super Moderator
Product Manager
2024-01-24 17:31
c***5@gmail.com

nahh im just waiting for the stable release of v23 but im just want deepin to be smooth and stable

V23 release expected in May This release should be relatively stable

Reply View the author
Merlin
Super Moderator
Product Manager
2024-01-24 17:35
Alphadon1

I am very happy to see you make this effort to include the international community more, I have been using the Deepin distribution for years now and love the distro. The first think I would suggest is to get better wayland support. I know you have wayland included now, but it does not work well in deepin at all and most of the wayland specific applications can not even run under wayland in deepin. A major application that uses wayland is Waydroid, this is impossible to run on Deepin no matter what is tried.

Another suggestion I would have is to get your native email client supporting gmail, yahoo mail, MS outlook and other major email serives provided in the west. Your email client sys that is supports these now, but none of them actually work.

The current wayland is based on KDE, although there are actually a lot of issues with this part, you can see a technical preview of the BeTA 3 version in Control Center - Update, that will be our future goal. We'll be implementing our own waylib synthesizer on top of wlroots+QT to build our own treeland environment. There may not be so many problems after the completion of which, and I have not invested time in the current wayland to solve the problem.
In addition to local email client support, I will also put forward this appeal to the mailbox client team to meet the needs of users of google, yahoo mail and other mailboxes

Reply View the author
c***5@gmail.com
deepin
2024-01-29 09:46
Merlin

V23 release expected in May This release should be relatively stable

well im using v23 beta right now its relatively stable i have no incounter bugs or error i will edit it back if i found bug or error

Reply View the author
raspin
deepin
2024-01-31 02:03

I guess the most obvious problem of deepin which kind of makes it unusable is a very outdated base. Deepin should have had a major release much ealier and now has lost a lot of momentum gained from v20 release.

Also there's a grave need to introduce a reliable packaging solution. I believe deepin desktop is good enough and the team should focus on technical aspect of the OS

Reply View the author
l***x@gmail.com
deepin
2024-02-06 11:54
The user is banned, and the content is hidden.
trawg
deepin
2024-02-24 07:59

The OS is very friendly once installed, but I can tell you one place there is room for improvement is the download page. This is the first impression many people will have with Deepin. When trying to get the .iso as an English-speaker I think you wind up here --> https://www.deepin.org/en/download/ I see that currently the Google Drive link is working, but at times it's been dead. For me in Midwest US, the Baidu link is very slow. People aren't going to wait 20 hours to download an .iso. The Baidu Cloud link is not English-friendly. You have these mirrors with the .iso's - https://www.deepin.org/en/mirrors/releases/ I found one close to me that was very speedy. I think it would be nice if your English download page was rearranged and presented in lists for each version with the top mirrors for English-speaking countries including the city/state for US or city/province for Canada, UK, etc... Besides being convenient this will instill some confidence in people from our countries that deepin is easily accessible for them.

Another thing is the linglong store, but if I understand correctly people are working on that. If the linglong store is nicely styled, organized in groups, and searchable I think that would just be great. thank you.

Reply View the author