[Seek Help] Manual Partitioning - Deepin recovery (Backup and Restore) missing?
Tofloor
poster avatar
g***e@gnbit.co.uk
deepin
2024-06-02 12:43
Author

Hello All,

I've been strugginling with a recent installtion on v20.9. For some reason, the standard installation does not boot on my PC (no dual boot and not a graphics problem). It seems for some reason the EFI partition doesn't work correctly and the system fails to find an OS to boot. It just hangs with a black screen and blinking cursor.

Due to those problems, I have had to install using manual partitioning. I tired to copy the standard layout which the installer uses by default and added a /recovery parition, but there's no option to add a "rootb" parition.

Because of manual partitioning, I belelive the system did not set up deepin backup & recovery properly and it's missing from settings > system info..

System update also gives me an error that backup failed (sorry no screenshot - I skipped it).

Is there a way to configure deepin backup and restore "post installation" so that it appears in settings and works correctly during updates etc?.

Thanks in advance.

image.png

image.png

sda7 is swap

image.png

Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
Owensuwu
deepin
2024-06-04 01:08

Just wanted to chime in on this issue. It sounds like you did a great job getting Deepin installed despite the EFI hiccups. Manual partitioning is definitely a solid workaround!

As for the missing Deepin Backup & Recovery, it's not uncommon for it to go AWOL when you install manually. Here's what you can do:

DIY Backup Solution:

1. Backup Partition: If you don't have one, create a separate partition for backups. This keeps things organized and makes recovery a breeze.
  2. Tool Time: Deepin might not have its own backup tool, but we've got plenty of great options in Linux-land:
    • Timeshift: Super easy to use, perfect for system snapshots.
    • rsync: More of a power-user tool, but super flexible.
    • Back In Time: User-friendly with a graphical interface.
  3. Set It and Forget It: Pick your tool and set up automatic backups. You can do daily, weekly, or whatever works for you.

Quick Notes:

• Your "/recovery" partition is for system repairs, not the same as Deepin Backup & Recovery.
  • This DIY backup won't hook into Deepin's update process, but it'll save your bacon if anything goes wrong during updates.

Hope this helps! Feel free to ask if you have any more questions.

Reply View the author
vIann
deepin
2024-06-04 14:00

agree

Reply View the author
g***e@gnbit.co.uk
deepin
2024-06-06 18:48
Owensuwu

Just wanted to chime in on this issue. It sounds like you did a great job getting Deepin installed despite the EFI hiccups. Manual partitioning is definitely a solid workaround!

As for the missing Deepin Backup & Recovery, it's not uncommon for it to go AWOL when you install manually. Here's what you can do:

DIY Backup Solution:

1. Backup Partition: If you don't have one, create a separate partition for backups. This keeps things organized and makes recovery a breeze.
  2. Tool Time: Deepin might not have its own backup tool, but we've got plenty of great options in Linux-land:
    • Timeshift: Super easy to use, perfect for system snapshots.
    • rsync: More of a power-user tool, but super flexible.
    • Back In Time: User-friendly with a graphical interface.
  3. Set It and Forget It: Pick your tool and set up automatic backups. You can do daily, weekly, or whatever works for you.

Quick Notes:

• Your "/recovery" partition is for system repairs, not the same as Deepin Backup & Recovery.
  • This DIY backup won't hook into Deepin's update process, but it'll save your bacon if anything goes wrong during updates.

Hope this helps! Feel free to ask if you have any more questions.

Hi Owensuwu,

Thanks for the reply, thats really useful info! 🙂 I'll get one of those approaches setup.

It's shame there's no way to get the inbuild recovery configured after installation with manual partitions, I really liked that feature from when I had Deepin installed before (same PC). I guess something changed in the installer which broke the default install for me 🙁 - It worked fine for me back in 2022/23..

Final question: Do you know if there is a way to surpress the backup error in system update? Can I turn that part of updates off? So that it doesn't try to perform a backup.

Thanks.

Reply View the author
j***1@hotmail.com
deepin
2024-06-12 16:07
It has been deleted!