[deepin exploration] A Method to Install Wine 8.0 Without Mixed Sources (Applicable to V23)
Tofloor
poster avatar
vIann
deepin
2024-06-25 15:11
Author

When using Wine in V23, you might encounter the following issues: installing directly prompts "unable to locate package", and importing the official Wine source prompts missing i386 dependencies (indeed, V23 lacks the i386 runtime environment, preventing Wine installation). It's like this: https://bbs.deepin.org/zh/post/263754

Previously, some suggested using mixed sources (importing i386 from other distributions), but since we don't know when deepin will officially add i386, there's always a risk.

The ancient deepin-wine6 can handle some software, but it still can't run games like Honkai: Star Rail (tested, it gets stuck on the login screen). In short, there are various issues.

This method is somewhat cumbersome to install but successfully avoids the risk of mixed sources. It requires the use of distrobox to install another distribution within a container (I installed Kali within a container).

Here is the ready command to install Kali in a distrobox container:

sudo apt update && sudo apt install -y distrobox

distrobox create --image docker.io/kalilinux/kali-rolling my-kali-linux

distrobox enter my-kali-linux

Explanation:

1. The first line installs distrobox (do not change this).

1. The second line installs the distribution you want into the container (--image refers to the image; you can replace docker.io part with your preferred distribution, such as Ubuntu, or Kylin, etc. deepin20 also works, but you'll need to find it yourself), and my-kali-linux is the container name.

1. The third line starts the installed container.

Then, you can install Wine within the container. This is the effect of running Wine within the container; it can be used normally:

Of course, this method has its flaws! You must open the container and then start Wine each time, and neither the Wine launcher nor Wine Game Helper will know that this container exists!

Additionally, if you want to run applications using this container, you can only use terminal commands (the container and deepin system share paths, so you can directly use system paths to find files)! Applications running in this container might assume the system's default language is English (when I ran Honkai: Star Rail in this container, it displayed the English interface and even downloaded the English voice pack)!

Original link:https://bbs.deepin.org/post/263823

Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
p***a@gmail.com
deepin
2024-06-26 12:56
The user is banned, and the content is hidden.