[Exchange and share] Install the full version of Deepin v23-RC2 arm64 on Raspberry Pi 5
Tofloor
poster avatar
158******01
13 hours ago
Author

Yes, you read it correctly. You can use the complete installation process on the Raspberry Pi to install a full version of deepin v23 like a normal installation, instead of burning an img cropped image!tail

The reason why I wrote this tutorial is because I bought a pi5 and left it idle at home. Then I had a sudden idea and wanted to try whether windows on arm could be installed on pi5. So I searched for the famous worproject and found their rpi5-uefi, which can install other complete operating systems. So I wanted to give this opportunity to deepin first.

First of all, I would like to express my gratitude to the members of the worproject team for their contributions to open source software. Those who have used windows on raspberry pi should be familiar with this project. This time, I am using the rpi5-uefi under worproject and the uefi used in the Raspberry Pi compiled with the edk2 open source firmware. If you want to follow, this is the project homepage:worproject/rpi5-uefi: EDK2 firmware images for Raspberry Pi 5 (github.com)

1. Material preparation:

Hardware: One Raspberry Pi 5b single board computer, one HDMI cable, one set of monitor keyboard and mouse, one tf card (slightly better performance is required as it is used as a system disk, recommended to be greater than or equal to 32GB, A1-A2 level memory card), one USB drive (one for installation, 8GB is sufficient, I will use a portable hard drive instead), one nvme m.2 solid state drive (used to store the BIOS used for Raspberry Pi startup), one Pi5 dedicated m.2 hat adapter card, one m.2 to USB hard drive box, one card reader, one computer with normal internet access, and one USB external wired network card for converting USB to rj45 (optional)

Software: ventoy - used to create startup disks (or UltralSo, any installation disk creation software can be used), firmware for rpi5-uefi pi5 dedicated boot operating system, deepin v23-rc2 (rc2 instead of unofficial version, I don't know why the official version is stuck after grub boot)

Here is an explanation of why materials are chosen in this way. It is recommended to pair the Raspberry Pi 5 with the original power supply and heat dissipation, otherwise there may be some strange performance issues. You can refer to the preparation in the readme.

Regarding why I chose tf card as the system disk instead of using nvme m.2 hard drive: In the actual testing before writing this article, I could only see nvme solid-state drive in BIOS. Apart from the OS already supported in the project that I did not test, I only tested uos1071/1060 and Deepin v23-rc2. When selecting the hard drive partition during system installation, I could not see nvme hard drive. Adjusting ECAM Compatibility Mode according to the project's readme instructions did not pull up the installation image, so I did not adopt nvme hard drive but chose TF card as the system disk. In order to have better performance, I have chosen a Hikvision 32GB card as the system disk (this card's performance is actually not very good, but the Samsung 64GB white card in the picture was used to store other things, so I had to compromise.)

Why do we put the BIOS on the m.2 hard drive and the system disk on the TF card? wouldn't that be a poor performance?

First of all, please understand that the Raspberry Pi itself does not have an EEPROM chip that stores BIOS programs. The so-called Raspberry Pi BIOS relies entirely on the boot file stored in the first partition of the disk to pull up the subsequent operating system (this description may be a bit vague, but Raspberry Pi players should be familiar with this).

In the experiment before writing the article, it was found that whether it was UOS or deepin, only one TF card and one installation disk were used for installation, because the first partition of the TF card was formatted as fat32 to store the so-called Raspberry Pi BIOS, and in the subsequent partition installation process, this partition would be detected as having an MSDOS partition and would need to be formatted. However, formatting also means that the installation process will kill the so-called Raspberry Pi BIOS (to give an inappropriate analogy, it roughly means that when you install the operating system on your own laptop or desktop computer, the installation program will erase the EEPROM chip that stores the BIOS program on your computer, which is a very dangerous thing), so this has caused a deadlock, which is why I chose to put BIOS in the m.2 hard drive and use the TF card as the system disk, because they both have their own uses.

image.png

The above image shows the full disk formatting observed during the initial testing of UOS 1070

1. Software deployment

Firstly, solve the Raspberry Pi BIOS issue by downloading the pre compiled BIOS files from rpi5-Uefi v0.3. Insert the nvme hard drive into the computer using an m.2 to USB hard drive case, create a new 256M partition, format the partition as FAT32, and extract the files from the downloaded compressed file to the 256M partition of the nvme hard drive. The final result is that only these three files can be seen in the nvme hard drive.

image.png

Pop up the M.2 hard drive, remove it, and plug it into the Raspberry Pi 5. Connect the HDMI cable and keyboard/mouse, plug in the power, and wait for the Raspberry Pi to start. You can see the large Raspberry Pi logo. Press the ESC key to enter BIOS, which proves that the BIOS for the Raspberry Pi has been successfully created. This proves that there is no problem. You can temporarily power off it.

46aca77fb7e79960fc622de7e3593d1.jpg

75f78df7d188f43f5c3662f6d4a3b04.jpg

Create installation disk: Refer to the new installation guide of Deepin for the method of creating installation disk. I also use Ventoy, and the firmware of edk2 can boot Ventoy. Please refer to the installation guide of Deepin 23- New Installation - Deepin Technology Community

1. System installation: Download the Deepin V23-RC2 image, note that it is RC2. The official version V23 cannot be pulled up for some reason. Afterwards, create an installation disk, which can be used with Ventoy, but for some reason, in version 1.0.99, I have been experiencing grub issues on the USB drive. However, another installation disk that I have been using at my workplace has no problem with... So I directly took the image and wrote it to a USB flash drive using the universal USB HDD method, and then plugged it in and turned it on to enter the installation page.

image.png

At this point, the installation disk has been completed. Install the installation disk and TF card onto the Raspberry Pi, and then smoothly enter the liveCD. At this point, you can see some parameter information in the device manager.

23ef6f3b861aee191bdcb4e468972d1.jpg

0e02860227a268cd38f99267cf84ce5.jpg

After entering livecd, you can see that the device manager can recognize the board normally, and then start the installation.

895c33cc9471cecbce89747c146587b.jpg

I choose advanced installation, and the UEFI startup is divided into four zones. If there is enough space, you can ignore this and install the entire system directly. I only have 32GB, so I can only divide it this way for now.

62b17c37f2bb0db3246da2ccc62a992.jpg

ae05b86a4a539b574c3ea541055d7e8.jpg

1f288a960de97fadff0447a7e1e292d.jpg

The installation process is quite lengthy because, after all, the performance of the TF card is not as good as that of the hard disk. After the installation is completed, just restart it.

cf967ba87c1741275cda8a9a04b1fbb.jpg

Create user and wait for configuration to complete.

982363b5d23791741bbfa839c3d234d.jpg

a1acfa48cbc6707abdd9c0c4199bfd9.jpg

254a593f1b17f41becdf0e531a6b779.jpg

6a6b016eb6ddb917f6aeac4963bc854.jpgThere are no issues with normal system updates and upgrades.

50097bed2fed4a63a57ac49b8dbb766.jpg

Current issues: PCIe cannot be used; The onboard network card cannot be used, but an external network card can be used for internet access; uos1071 will get stuck after installing and running for a while.

There are many areas that can be optimized during the process, and I am looking forward to your corrections and optimizations!kissing_heart

Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies

No replies yet