Deepin FakeRaid
Tofloor
poster avatar
andreasyeah
deepin
2016-12-19 07:27
Author
Hi,

I have an MSI GT72 laptop dual boot Win 10 and Zorin-OS which has 4 SSDs in Raid0 using Intel's fakeraid. It was working great with ZorinOS and it was mounted somewhere at /dev/mapper/isw..... The problem is now that I tried to replace Zorin with Deepin, it won't boot even though the installation completes just fine. I installed it in UEFI mode and the extra entry shows up in my BIOS but when I try to boot I get an initramfs shell and it says that it did not detect the the RAID volume and it prints out the UUID of the volume. Doing blkid shows the 4 SSDs with a name similar to "isw_raid_member" or something like that. I tried booting into recovery mode and at some point it says that it failed to assemble all arrays. During installation they were assembled just fine and the disk was detected as Linux Software RAID and mounted to /dev/md126 but after the reboot it fails to detect it. Things I tried:
-Adding dmraid=true in the grub entries
-Formatting using both ext4 and btrfs.
-Installation using the bootloader instead of UEFI option(This just brings be to a GRUB shell after the reboot)

Also keep in mind that I am trying to dual boot with Windows 10.

Any help would be appreciated.
Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
stevex
deepin
2016-12-19 12:56
Edited by stevex at 2016-12-19 06:17

Hi. I know nothing about the 4 SSds in Raid0 setup, but do have a little experience dual and triple booting W10 with Linux. As you know, W10 will often interfere while attempting to control your pc when installing Linux distros. Because of that, I installed W10 and Linux on separate SSDs, but still had problems with W10 messing with booting properly. I finally physically unplugged the SSD that W10 was on, installed My Linux distros on the other SSD, plugged the W10 SSD back in, and then updated grub. All has worked well since then. So physically disconnecting W10 worked for me, and perhaps, if feasible, it may work for you. Good luck.     *** Also, perhaps the following might help:  https://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/SataRaid
Reply View the author
andreasyeah
deepin
2016-12-20 03:00
Thanks for the reply. I am hoping someone else will have a better solution cause I don't want to destroy my RAID array
Reply View the author
andreasyeah
deepin
2016-12-20 12:07
I tried the link provided above but it didnt help. The weird part is that during installation, the raid array is detected. The problem is afterwards during booting
Reply View the author
xushaohua
deepin
2016-12-20 17:06
Up to now, deepin-installer does not support RAID or LVM.
Reply View the author
andreasyeah
deepin
2016-12-20 17:10
Thanks for your reply. Too bad cause I really fell in love with Deepin. I guess I'll wait. Thank you
Reply View the author
andreasyeah
deepin
2016-12-21 07:21
I have a very simple solution to this but it requires a Live USB/CD. Any step by step guides to create one? Thank you.
Reply View the author
savanweylyn
deepin
2016-12-23 12:43
https://bbs.deepin.org/post/133170
I have a very simple solution to this but it requires a Live USB/CD. Any step by step guides to crea ...

If you could boot into win10, install VirtualBox (if you don't have one). After that install Deepin as a VM and at the same time install VBox ext. pack on the host (just in case you'll need it). If everything works fine, install Systemback in the Deepin VM. After this step, connect a USB drive to the host. Then select Tools -> USB and select the USB drive you've just plugged in. Open up a terminal and type in lsblk to verify that the USB drive has been it has been identified by Deepin. If it is, then launch Systemback and click on Create Live system. Click on Create new and wait for it to finish. Then click on Write to device (or sg. like that) and you're good to go. Alternatively, you can convert the live system image you've created to an ISO and create a bootable USB device with your favorite software (e.g. Deepin Boot Maker). Then reboot and see if the USB device is being recognized or not by your computer. If not, then launch Deepin VM again, install UNetBootIn and try to create the bootable USB with it. Hope it helps.
Reply View the author
curldragon
deepin
2017-04-23 18:18
Up to now, deepin-installer does not support RAID or LVM.

你好,想问一下,15.4也不支持 mdadm 做的 raid 0 吗? 我在安装的时候是正常的,跟楼主一样,显示安装成功,但是,重启的时候却出现 XZ compressed data error,我chroot /target 重新grub-install 以后再重启,就出现grub> 提示符了,insmod mdraid1x 之后可以显示出 md/1 设备,但是提示说无法识别MD上面的文件系统,启动还是失败的。有什么办法吗?
Reply View the author
xushaohua
deepin
2017-04-24 19:36
你好,想问一下,15.4也不支持 mdadm 做的 raid 0 吗? 我在安装的时候是正常的,跟楼主一样,显示安装成 ...

现在并不支持 RAID 模式安装.
Reply View the author
curldragon
deepin
2017-05-12 22:41
现在并不支持 RAID 模式安装.

支持,我在家里的机器一次安装成功了,只是raid0并没有想像当中的那么快而已,单位的机器总出问题,后来找到原因,是我新添加的内存条的问题。
Reply View the author