System black screen after logon
Tofloor
poster avatar
corei7
deepin
2017-09-12 08:00
Author
Hello everyone, I'm facing a problem with DeepinOS:
I've installed the distribution correctly without errors. When I turn on the computer, I reach the logon screen (user and password to access) and everything works fine but when I hit enter to submit my credentials, the screen turns black and it freezes, I can't even see the cursor. I think it's related with the graphical card because my laptop has a light indicator that turns on when the dediated graphical card is in use and that light turns on exactly when the system freezes. I use a high performance computer as detailed below:

Intel i7 6700HQ (Skylake)
16GB RAM
nVidia GTX970M
128GB Samsung NVMe M.2 SSD + 512GB Samsung EVO SSD SATA

How can I start solving this issue? I've tried accessing non-GUI interface by pressing CTRL+ALT+F1 while being in logon screen but as soon as I press the combination, it freezes the same way mentioned before.

Thanks in advance!
Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
melodyzou
deepin
2017-09-12 22:39
Thanks for your feedback and sorry for the issue.
I believe there is something to do with the cpu.
https://bbs.deepin.org/user/32991 please look at this.
Reply View the author
yangbo
deepin
2017-09-12 23:04
If you suspect it is graphic card problem, could you try nomodeset or module_bloacklist=nouveau

and then switch to console to upload feedback

I really doubt about it, maybe intel_idle problem. try intel_idle.max_cstate=0
Reply View the author
corei7
deepin
2017-09-13 02:45
https://bbs.deepin.org/post/145399
If you suspect it is graphic card problem, could you try nomodeset or module_bloacklist=nouveau

and ...

Thanks for you response! I finally could bypass the logon screen and access the desktop by blacklisting the nouveau driver and this leaves my GPU useless (it's always turned on, as indicator light is on and fans are running for GPU). After this I opened "Drivers manager" and I set propietary drivers for GPU "nvidia-drivers" + "Bumblebee" and after that the system crashed again: the screen froze and after rebooting, same black screen.

I'm re-insalling the system everytime it crashes because I can't even open the command line before it crashes. It seems that all drivers are prompted and when it reaches GPU drivers it crashes.

I installed drivers downloaded directly from NVIDIA website for my GPU and the behaviour is the same, after install, the system crashes.

Suggestions?

Thank you so much.
Reply View the author
corei7
deepin
2017-09-13 09:50
Edited by corei7 at 2017-9-13 01:51

Problem solved! It's a kernel bug. After 2 days of researching I found a post where the fix is shared.

This is the post: https://github.com/Bumblebee-Project/Bumblebee/issues/764

It was a graphical component issue. Basically I had to modify grub's configuration file, adding the following line to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT parameter:

1. GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_osi=! acpi_osi='Windows 2009'"
Copy the Code

There are more solutions for different cases, so if someone has the same problem than me, that post is a good place to take a look at.

The steps I followed:

1. Select "Advanced options" when Deepin is booting
2. Select "Recovery mode"
3. Select "Access shell as root"
4. I had to make filesystem writable, so:
  1. mount -o remount /
Copy the Code

1. sudo nano /etc/default/grub
Copy the Code

6. Modify GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT options leaving it this way:
  1. GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_osi=! acpi_osi='Windows 2009'"
Copy the Code

1. update-grub
Copy the Code

And no more problems, after this, I can use "nouveau" or "nvidia" drivers, Bumblebee...
Reply View the author