Regarding the update of NVIDIA closed source drivers
Tofloor
poster avatar
habios
deepin
2018-12-08 13:39
Author
I have a gtx 760 and I always get to choose the closed source driver through the Deepin Graphics Driver Manager because it's stable for daily use and games. But the driver's version is becoming quite old, specially because it still has the 390.67 (released in June) version when the latest one is 410.78 (released in November), and I'm experiencing issues with some games. I'm not asking to update them to the latest version, but a newer and stable one or let the user decide between two versions at least.
I'm experiencing weird lighting and shadow issues, and I don't have them on Linux Mint, where I installed a newer version of the drivers. Tried to follow some steps on another thread and it didn't work for me, had to reintall Deepin.

Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
oscararg
deepin
2018-12-08 14:10
I suppose you followed my post, I know the heavily limitations Deepin has for gaming because of its outdated drivers, non-curated drivers from official page are the last option to use in every Linux distro, but here they are the only option (for example, if you install .deb nvidia drivers from ppa, they'll work, but without nvidia-settings panel) on Deepin.
I can live, for now, with that, using Steam as a Flatpak. Games through Itch app and Lutris work for me (I do not use Deepin's store to install non Deepin things because most of them come outdated, and I prefer flatpaks as they don't touch the system at the level that main apps do).
If you want new drivers and Deepin desktop, try Manjaro Deepin, but, as a community managed Manjaro spin, and like Arch based distros, it tends to break sometimes with its constantly updates.
Reply View the author
habios
deepin
2019-01-18 12:45
Edited by habios at 2019-1-18 04:48

So as for Deepin 15.9, closed source drivers have not been updated yet.
Reply View the author
oscararg
deepin
2019-01-19 04:09
https://bbs.deepin.org/post/172126
So as for Deepin 15.9, closed source drivers have not been updated yet.

No, and I do not recommend you to try to install official ones for now. The only thing to do if you want last drivers for now is to move to an Arch based Deepin distro, Arch Deepin, Arco Deepin, Antergos Deepin, Manjaro Deepin.
Reply View the author
bluebidis
deepin
2019-01-19 06:45
Yeah, I have to agree as well. I was getting annoyed with the old  Nvidia drives. So, I ended up switching to Manjaro Deepin. I get the latest drivers that I need for my gaming. So, far I have been really happy with it. Oscararg make a good point that the constant update package can break your system.  You can force lock your current package once you find everything works the way you want.
Reply View the author