How to switch between Nvidia and Intel GPU using NV-PRIME Solution?
Tofloor
poster avatar
fael
deepin
2019-01-06 18:56
Author
Edited by fael at 2019-1-15 00:38

I've just installed Nvidia driver in a primus laptop (Nvidia and intel graphic card) using the default Deepin Driver Manager. I don't like the poor bumblebee performance and once the distro has recently added the "NV-PRIME Solution" chose, I installed it. Good, working great, but a question: how to uses the intel card? Eg: In Ubuntu, you got a "RIME Profiles" option at nvidia-settings where you can change between both, like this:
The most of the time I prefer using the Nvidia card (that's why I like this driver option), but sometimes I would like to use the intel one to save up battery energy (eg: when traveling). So, once the Deepin does not get this option at the nvidia-settings, how can I switch between Nvidia and Intel graphic card?

Reply Favorite View the author
All Replies
xdonx3
deepin
2019-01-12 08:45
Hello friend, I also questioned this recently, and from what I researched I did not have the option to switch between the boards.
Reply View the author
fael
deepin
2019-01-14 12:08
https://bbs.deepin.org/post/173357
Hello friend, I also questioned this recently, and from what I researched I did not have the option  ...

Yeah, you seem to be right. Too bad man, have to change the driver every time you wanna change the GPU in use is pretty annoying. Specialty when the change needed intense CPU use, what drains the battery power.

In this case, all I can do is hope they add an easier way to switch it.

Thank you for let me know.
Reply View the author
oscararg
deepin
2019-01-14 12:33
sudo prime-select query to check which card is being used.
sudo prime-select nvidia or sudo prime-select intel to select the card to use.
Remember to log out and log in again.
Reply View the author
fael
deepin
2019-01-14 14:08
sudo prime-select query to check which card is being used.
sudo prime-select nvidia or sudo prime-se ...

It should do the trick. But unfortunately, the necessary package doesn't even been installed. by default by Deepin Graphics Driver Manager. Remember, I'm using the "NV-PRIME" driver option.

I doubt it would work out-of-the-box, but if you wanna give it a shot, you can tell me the package responsible by the prime-select thing. Then I could install it and reply you what does happens. For now, it is just a "command not found" error.

Reply View the author
oscararg
deepin
2019-01-14 18:29
It should do the trick. But unfortunately, the necessary package doesn't even been installed. by d ...

Was checking, devs only packaged Prime utility, nothing more... If you want to try things, try this as it's supposed to be enhanced for all distros, I understand that using Prime without the possibility of change to Intel graphics is a mess, because for that thing, one uses proprietary drivers, and it is a battery waste for laptops.
Reply View the author